I ran into a small issue today. I'm working on a Django app which uses Celery to handle certain tasks that don't need to return a response within the context of the HTTP request. I also wanted to use
django_behave for running BDD tests. The trouble is that both
django_behave and Celery provide their own custom test runners that extend the default Django test runner, and so it looked like I might have to choose between the two.
However, it turned out that the Celery one was actually very simple, with only a handful of changes needing to be made to the default test runner to make it work with Celery. I was therefore able to create my own custom test runner that inherited from
DjangoBehaveTestSuiteRunner and applied the changes necessary to get Celery working with it. Here is the test runner I wrote, which was saved as
1from django.conf import settings2from djcelery.contrib.test_runner import _set_eager3from django_behave.runner import DjangoBehaveTestSuiteRunner45class CeleryAndBehaveRunner(DjangoBehaveTestSuiteRunner):6 def setup_test_environment(self, **kwargs):7 _set_eager()8 settings.BROKER_BACKEND = 'memory'9 super(CeleryAndBehaveRunner, self).setup_test_environment(**kwargs)
To use it, you need to set the test runner in
TEST_RUNNER = 'myproject.runner.CeleryAndBehaveRunner'
Once that was done, my tests worked flawlessly with Celery, and the Behave tests ran as expected.